Wednesday, 30 January 2013

LES NUBIANS - 'MAKEDA' WITH eNGLISH TRANSLATION



"One wants to make us believe in lost myths
Parts of history are corrupted and re-examined
From Ramses to Mandela, (*)
So many unspoken truths (*)
By being unaware of the original story,
one wanders without goal

Makeda was queen, beautiful and powerful
Solomon dreamed of her black skin (*)
I sing to revive the memories
To exhume knowledge
That the spiral of time erases

The Queen of Sheba lives in me
Makeda lives in me.

Let us revive our memory
The history should be changed
History is being deformed by words….No
The knowledge and wisdom are within reach
Listen and pay attention

Makeda was queen, beautiful and powerful
Solomon dreamed of her black skin
I sing to revive the memories
To exhume knowledge
That the spiral of time erases

The Queen of Sheba lives in me
Makeda lives in me.

My people dance and sing
They express their joy (*)
Far from ignorance
They show their faith (*)

Blessed with men and values (*)
We repair the errors
Sons and daughters you and me
Ready for the fight

Makeda was queen, beautiful and powerful
Solomon dreamed of her black skin
I sing to revive the memories
To exhume knowledge
That the spiral of time erases

The Queen of Sheba lives in me
Makeda lives in me.

(*) what I fixed"

3 comments:

Parolepoet said...

Thank you so much for posting a translation of this powerful song. My ego has gotten the best of me for over a decade--feeling like I should know the translation because of the many years I studied the French language...however I just recently heard the song and still I could not understand what the song was saying. So--as I read your translation, having matured my intellect and understanding a bit--I am in awe at the powerful content of this beautifully sung composition. I leave you with this... I was introduced to this album and song by a few european co-workers of mine. One was a lesbian college student, and the other a soon to be lesbian middle class european. They played this song and album endlessly during our time at work... I just find much irony and mystical truth within those experiences now that I can use your translation to better understand the "background music." Adupe pupo

lglmind4 said...

Thank you for this translation. I originally heard this beautiful song sometime in '02/'03 as background music at a restaurant/lounge in Phoenix. The melody remained with me through the years and I eventually added it to my iTunes library. Beautiful music. Beautiful voices. Beautiful message. Thanks, again.

Paul empiricist nemaguvhuni said...

I've listened to this song without knowing what was being sang about. Now I know. The content of the song is poignant.it edges one to try to know more about one's history and origin. Merci Sukant